Last Updated January 31st, 2023: In the past few years, Australia has begun an ongoing green revolution. With over 7 million consistent cannabis users in Australia, and more support growing every day, cannabis is quite the hot topic in Australia.
Buying Marijuana Seeds In Australia
There has been a big push by citizens for both medical and recreational marijuana to finally be legal across the board, and remove the stigma from this flower. Until today, information on cannabis seeds, and Australian cannabis seed banks has been a grey subject, and has been difficult to find trustworthy and consistent information.
Thankfully, we’ve spent time Down Under, and we’ve compiled all the information you’ll need to know about buying marijuana seeds in Australia, cannabis seed banks in Australia, cannabis history, as well as the best strains to grow in the Australian climate!
Whether you’re an Australian resident or just a tourist visiting, this guide will help provide you with some clarity on cannabis in Australia.
Before we begin, it is important to understand the individual laws regarding your individual area or region as they can vary quite drastically. So please check your local regulations.
The Legality Of Buying, Selling, Possessing and Growing Cannabis Seeds In Australia:
In most countries, cannabis seeds are often seen as a grey area. There are some countries where cannabis itself is illegal, but seeds are legal. Here are the latest laws and regulations surrounding cannabis and cannabis seeds in Australia:
- Medical and Recreation marijuana is fully legal in the Australian Capital Territory and this allows you to purchase cannabis seeds from an online seed bank, as well as grow cannabis in your home.
- Recreational cannabis is illegal in all other territories.
- This means it’s illegal to grow cannabis as well in other territories outside of ACT.
- Medical marijuana is existant in Australia, but it requires a valid medical marijuana license, and the Australian government has rules and regulations on who can supply product for medical patients, and patients outside of ACT are not allowed to grow cannabis themselves, and must rely on purchasing medical cannabis from an authorized dealer.
How To Grow Cannabis In Australia:
Because Australia has a unique Southern Hemisphere climate, you need to be aware of the best times to plant your cannabis seeds if you’re planning on growing outdoors. If you want to use a greenhouse or a closet grow, then you have a bit more control of temperatures, so planting time doesn’t matter as much.
Australiana Cannabis Harvest Dates:
- Seedlings can be grown and germinzed inside around February to prepare for Spring.
- March 1st-15th should be when seedlings are transitioned outdoors.
- May is when most grows should be harvested.
- Depending on your region, you might be able to grow year round, depending on the temperatures and amount of sun outdoors.
Issues When Growing Cannabis Outdoors In Australia:
No matter what country you’re in, if you’re growing cannabis outdoors there will always be issues to be prepared for which can negatively impact your grow.
The biggest issues you might face in Australia are:
- Too Much Heat: As anyone from Australia knows, the sun can be quite intense and last for long hours. If you are attempting to grow a strain that doesn’t have genetics adapted to high heat, then your plants are going to struggle and could eventually die. Check out our list of strains for high heat climates!
- Pests and Wildlife: Most climates have issues with pests and wildlife eating or destroying grows, and Australia is no different. You can help prevent this with netting and fencing around your grow.
- Dehydration: Due to long and tense days of sun, you’ll have to be on top of ensuring your grow is properly watered without overwatering or underwaters your cannabis.
That being said, the Australian climate actually makes it pretty easy to grow cannabis in your backyard. Although if you’re a beginner it can seem overwhelming, it does get easier!
How To Ensure You Have A Successful Cannabis Grow In Australia:
Although in the grand scheme of things growing cannabis is a relatively straightforward process, there are a few things you should focus on to ensure that you have a successful grow.
Below are our top 3 tips to ensure you have smooth and successful cannabis grow in Australia:
- Buy Your Cannabis Seeds From A Trustworthy Seed Bank:
If you aren’t familiar with the cannabis seed market, there are hundreds of different seed banks that claim they offer high-quality seeds at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case.
This industry is full of companies that will either take your money and run, or will provide you with low-quality cannabis seeds that you’ll be lucky if they germinate.
By purchasing from a trusted seed bank, you can ensure the following:
- You’ll receive cannabis seeds with a high germination rate (or even get a refund if your seeds don’t germinate).
- You’ll be able to see user reviews on individual cannabis strains and the company as a whole.
- You have a large strain selection to choose from.
- Fast and reliable shipping straight to your door.
2. Buying Cannabis Seed Strains Designed For The Australian Climate:
As mentioned above, if you plan on purchasing a cannabis seed strain designed for temperatures under 25 degrees celsius, then you’re going to have all sorts of issues in the high heat of Australia. No matter if you’re growing in Brisbane, Victoria or elsewhere, you need to ensure that the strain you’re choosing has genetics that is predisposed for the Australiana climate! Here are some factors to look for:
- Tolerant of high heat.
- Tolerant of low rainfall and water.
- Tolerant of flashes of cold weather.
If you choose a strain that has these features, you’ll be setting yourself up for success.
Where Should I Buy Marijuana Seeds If I Live In Australia?
Although it is illegal to possess or grow marijuana seeds in territories outside of ACT, just for an informational standpoint, it’s possible to get cannabis seeds easily and discreetly shipped straight to your doorstep.
Online Seed Banks That Ship To Australia:
Online seed banks are the place to get your cannabis seeds because they have a huge selection of different strains, competitive prices, and they’ll ship discreetly right to your door.
Not every seed bank in the marketplace ships to Australia due to customs and the long shipping times, but thankfully we’ve done our research and found the best Australian seed banks that’ll provide you your seeds ASAP!
Crop King Seeds:
Crop King Seeds is an amazing online seed bank that ships discreetly and quickly across the globe! They have a huge seed strain selection which means you’ll be able to find any strain you want to grow! Along with this, they offer extremely quick shipping times and will even ship your seeds in discreet packaging so you don’t have to worry about prying eyes taking a look at your shipment.
If you are looking to get cannabis seeds shipped to Australia, Crop King Seeds is your place to try!
ILoveGrowingMarijuana (ILGM) is one of the most well-known and trusted seed banks in the industry. They have the best customer service in the industry and fast and discrete worldwide shipping. Along with this, they accept quite a few different payment methods such as:
Recommended Cannabis Strains To Grow In Australia:
Due to Australia’s warm and dry climate, it can be difficult for certain cannabis strains to survive. By choosing cannabis strains that are genetically pre-disposed to climates similar to Australia’s you vastly improve your chances of a successful grow as well as improve your harvest size.
All of these strains below can be shipped directly to your door from either Crop King Seeds or ILGM!
Girl Scout Cookies Extreme:
If you’re looking for a cannabis strain that can survive the heat but also pack a punch, then you’re looking for Girl Scout Cookies Extreme! This top-shelf cannabis strain is considered a west coast legend and is extremely popular grow around the world. With genetics that helps to fight overheating and drought, this is an excellent choice of strain to grow outdoors in Australia.
Jack Herer is a popular cannabis strain that has proven a great choice to grow in Australia! This is an uplifting and easy to grow strain that will give you the ultimate relaxation. This majority indica dominant strain is perfect for the Australian climate because it does well in high heat, and is drought resistant. This is an amazing strain that any grower will enjoy in their next harvest, so take a look today!
As the name suggests, the Durban Poison strain is perfect for hot and dry climates such as Australia. This strain is known for its psyhcodaelic effects and high THC content, with a relaxing feeling that will keep you perfectly content. This strain is designed for high heat and will do a good job of protecting itself against droughts, which makes it the perfect choice for an Aussie grower!
Final Thoughts On Cannabis Seeds In Australia:
Buying cannabis seeds in Australia has never been easier! With online seed banks being so prevalent, it means you can simply purchase cannabis seeds in Australia and they’ll get delivered straight to your door!